Terms and conditions of Entry
In the Terms & Conditions of the Joseph Jaworski Next Generation Foresight Practitioners (NGFP) Award, the following definitions apply:
'NGFP Award' means Next Generation Foresight Practitioner Award organised by School of International Futures Ltd
'SOIF' means School of International Futures Ltd
'The Event' means 'SOIF2019 Strategic Foresight Summer Retreat in Strategic Foresight'. For more information visit soif.org.uk/SOIF2019
'Entrant' means an individual applicant or individual applying on behalf of a group of individuals. Where an individual is applying on behalf of a group, the individual acknowledges that they have the full consent of all individuals to make the application
Entering the NGFP Award
(i) NGFP Award
- The Joseph Jaworski Next Generation Foresight Practitioner Award is organised by School of International Futures Ltd, 49 Brick Lane, London, E1 6PU United Kingdom.
- The NGFP Award consists of a Main Award and Special Awards allocated to sectors or specific geographies. Special Awards may be announced during or after entries have closed.
- To enter the award please follow the instructions online at apply.nextgenforesight.org
- By entering the Award, the entrant will be deemed to have read and understood the terms and conditions of 'Award Entry'' and be bound by both terms and conditions.
- The deadline for all entries is 23:59 BST on Tuesday 4th June 2019. Entries received after this deadline will not be processed.
- Qualifying entrants must be between 18 and 35 years old at the time of entry or have fewer than ten years' experience working in strategic foresight. They must be actively studying or working to develop innovative foresight practice.
- Qualifying entrants can only make one entry, either individually or as part of a group of individuals.
- Entries may not be submitted by a third party.
- Upon written request, entries may be withdrawn by the entrant prior to 23:59 BST on Tuesday, 4th June 2019.
- By submitting an entry or making a nomination, you confirm that: you are entitled to enter and have obtained all and any consents, permissions and authorisations that may be required in order for you to enter; the information contained in the submission is accurate and truthful.
- Submissions must be the works of the entrant, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. If we have reason to believe your entry is not your own work or otherwise breaches this paragraph, then we may decide not to consider it.
- No fee is required to enter the Award.
- Entrants are responsible for the cost (if any) of sending your entry or nomination to us.
- All category entries must be submitted in English and submitted electronically with supporting documents (if applicable) using the online Application Form. Any entry received by any other means including via email, fax, post or hand delivered will not be accepted unless prior permission has been agreed.
- Neither SOIF nor the NGFP judges accept responsibility or liability for any lost, late, mislaid or incomplete entries with all such entries deemed invalid. For the purpose of doubt, proof of dispatch shall not be accepted as proof of entry.
- SOIF reserves the right to not process entries that are illegible or incomplete or those that do not meet the entry criteria.
- Entrants may, at SOIF's discretion, be disqualified and not considered due to ethical or moral considerations.
- SOIF reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Award or any feature thereof with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected, or actual fraud).
- SOIF accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the Award. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude the liability of SOIF under law for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence.
- SOIF shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations relating to the Award or where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
- The Award and these terms and conditions shall be governed by English law and entrants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
(iii) Judging, Selection and Award
- SOIF, their advisors and the NGFP Judging Panel will produce a shortlist of entrants for the Main Award and the Special Award.
- Award Category entries must take account of any word limits specified in the Judging Criteria. Any Award Category entry that exceeds a stated word limit may, at SOIF's discretion, be disqualified and not considered.
- A maximum of seven shortlisted entries will be selected for the Main Award Category and three entries will be shortlisted for each Special Award Category. The shortlisting process will be undertaken by members of the Judging Panel of futures experts in July 2019. Each award will be reviewed by a minimum of three Judges.
- SOIF reserves the right to move entries into a different category where SOIF deems it appropriate to do so. Entries will not be moved into a different Award Category without the prior consent of the entrant.
- Shortlisted entries will be reviewed by the entire expert judging panel. Each judge will rank the shortlisted nominees, marking each entry against how it meets the judging criteria (the "Judging Criteria").
- Judges will then compare scores and debate the merits of each entry before deciding collaboratively on a winner for the Main Award and Special Awards.
- A panel of judges, including at least one member who is independent of SOIF, will judge the Award Category Shortlisted Entrants for each Award Category and will select one winner in each of the Main and Special Award Categories. There is no obligation on the judging panel to select runners-up.
- Judges may choose to invite entrants to take part in a short interview with a judging panel as part of the judging process.
- The judges' decision is final and no negotiations or correspondence with entrants will be entered into. Entrants to the Award and nominees for the Award must not contact, or try to contact, the judges in any way in connection with the Award, or otherwise try to influence the judges' selection.
- Award Category Shortlisted Entrants will be contacted by email in July. If a Shortlisted Entrant does not respond to SOIF within 14 days of being notified, their place on the shortlist will be forfeited and SOIF shall be entitled to select another entrant in accordance with the process described above (that entrant will have to respond to notification within 14 days or else they will also forfeit their place on the shortlist).
- The winners in each Award Category will be announced on 16 July. Details of the winners may be published by SOIF or other parties in any format after that announcement.
- The winner of the Main Award will be invited to attend the SOIF Summer Retreat in Strategic Foresight at a venue in the UK between 6 and 10 August 2019. Economy flights and retreat costs are covered as part of the Main Award, however, SOIF accepts no responsibility for the winner being unavailable to attend.
- As a UK organisation SOIF is required to respect international sanctions in place within the UK or EU. SOIF reserves the right not to make an award where this would be in contradiction to sanctions or international law.
- Judging will be conducted based on the information provided in Steps 1, 2 and 3 of the application form. Entrants are required to complete Step 4 but the content will not be used for the purposes of the Award.
- Information provided in Step 1 will be used to determine eligibility for the Main Award and any Special Awards.
- Eligible entrants will be judged based on the information in Steps 2 and 3, which will form 65 percent and 35 percent of the overall score, respectively.
- Project proposals (submitted in Part 3 of the Application Form) must be for a new initiative or a new phase to an existing initiative that has not been started prior to entry.
- For each step, in addition to the criteria specified on the Application form which can be accessed at nextgenforesight.org/apply our judges will be looking for evidence of:
- Measurable and sustained impact
- A participative approach
- Innovation in foresight
- A clear understanding of the need, opportunity or challenge.
- The named entrant of each submission owns the copyright to that entry. If another person or organisation is the author of your entry, you warrant that you have received an assignment of all associated copyright to your entry from that person. SOIF may ask to see evidence of that assignment at any time.
- In consideration of SOIF agreeing to consider your Award Category entry, each entrant: (a) grants SOIF a royalty-free licence to copy, edit, display, publish, broadcast and make available their entry in any format in connection with the Award or promotion of the Award; (b) agrees that SOIF may publish their name in connection with SOIF's use of the entry; (c) warrants that the work submitted with their entry is their own or the relevant organisation's original work, that it is not defamatory and that it does not infringe any third-party rights; (d) and agrees that SOIF may grant to its partners and/or associated companies a sub-licence of the rights licensed to SOIF under these terms and conditions on such terms as SOIF shall agree in its sole discretion.
- To support efforts to showcase entrants, their submissions and insights from the award, entrants may be required to participate in publication and promotional activity on SOIF's reasonable request. All forms of replication will have entrant names clearly associated with the content.
- Winners consent to the use by SOIF and its related companies, both before and after the closing date of the Award for an unlimited time, of their voice, image, photograph and name for publicity purposes (in any medium, including still photographs and films, and on the internet, including any websites hosted by SOIF and its related companies) and in advertising, marketing or promotional material without additional compensation or prior notice. In submitting an entry or consenting to a nomination, all entrants consent to the same.
(vi) Data Protection
- By submitting an entry for this event, the participant acknowledges and gives consent on behalf of all persons mentioned on the submission form and all representatives attending this event to have their details processed and entered into a database owned by SOIF. Information will be used for the purposes of award judging. The participant also acknowledges and gives consent on behalf of all persons mentioned on this submission form and all representatives attending this event for SOIF to contact the entrant via email for the purpose of the Award.
- Entrants details will be used by SOIF to help us process your entry more efficiently and to keep you informed of information in relation to this award. We will never sell your information to any third parties; however we will make these details available to sponsors and selected partners who may contact you in relation to the Award.
- By entering NGFP Award, all award entrants have agreed to allow the details of their entry to be shared with the judges of NGFP and representatives of SOIF. All entrants will be deemed to have consented to the transfer and sharing of their personal, company and project data and information for the purpose of administration, judging and marketing of the award and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
- Entrants might be contacted by SOIF prior to the award ceremony to gather further detail on their entry. This is for the purposes of collecting and reviewing content to be provided on SOIF's websites and in any supplement which is published, at SOIF's sole discretion, in public media after the Award. SOIF shall be under no obligation to publish or exhibit any Award Category entry.
- Any entrant to the Award may be contacted by SOIF for the purposes or verifying their identity and confirming their inclusion in the process.
- Participants may also opt-in to join the Next Generation Foresight Practitioners Award mailing list which provides information on the Award, and or SOIF's mailing list which provides information on SOIF's services as well as upcoming events.